Wednesday, August 28, 2019

My Skull Fest Adventures: Part II



     When last we left our “hero,” he was bound to the giant novelty typewriter of Skull Fest which was heading into its third day.  Who will swoop in to save the day?
     Continue on for the exciting conclusion of my Skull Fest adventures.
.     .     .
Night Three:  Spirit
     I ended up skipping the afternoon matinee at Babyland knowing full well that I would need my wits about me for the evening show at Spirit.  Killer Of Sheep was on the bill so that meant the possibility of lugging drums was in my future.
     Staying home for a while was probably a good idea.  As the exhaustion settles in, it starts to open the door for the depression to creep in and if that had happened I wouldn't have left the house until Monday morning for day job.  I'm guessing that was part of the funk that led to me leaving after De Rodillas the night before.
     Apparently, my body was in need of nutrients after two days so I hit Onion Maiden for takeout and devoured an inadvisable amount of food after a morning of musical palette cleansing.  The new Oh Sees and Sleater-Kinney records added to the Bowie At The Beeb box set made for a much needed respite from the screamy-shoutiness of Skull Fest.
     The Bowie BBC sessions are a lifesaver.  I'm not trying to make the case that David Bowie was the lynchpin of the universe or anything but have you read the news since his passing?
     My self-care routine continued for another three hours because my copy of Avengers: Endgame showed up in the mail so I was able to nerd out before show time.  After three viewings, that dopey comic book movie still knows how to make a grown man cry.  As much as I should have used that three hours to write and edit photos, my brain needed the downtime and distraction to recharge.
     After finishing off a pot of coffee, I was off to 51st St. to see what the night had in store.  And boy, was there a lot ahead for me.
     I was able to bypass the security check since I was “with the band.”  I felt gross playing that card but at least it got me out of having my nuts grabbed in an unfriendly manner.
     Greg The Drummer's kit was already set up when I got there so all there was for me to do was sit around and wait for the first band to go on.  Unfortunately for me, Greg's kit was being used by all six bands that were playing which meant I'd have to be there all night so as to not leave Greg in the lurch on load out.  And it did make sense to use his kit since he playing in two of the six bands anyway.
     The Detainees were up first and were definitely worth checking out.  They've got a much looser, less aggressive way about them and were a great change of pace from the crustiness of the other bands.
     Killer Of Sheep played second and quickly reminded me why I dig that band so much.  It had been way too long since I had seen them and I had been jonesing since May when they opened for Eyehategod.
     I got what I hope is enough pictures and went to my post on the side of the stage.  The kick drum started to walk away on Greg during the songs and he had to keep moving it back in place between each one.  That is one of the things that bothers most but there isn't much that can be done outside of using a long ratchet strap wrapped around the kick and the throne.
     I had had enough of it so I knelt down in front of the kick drum to hold it in place.  This way it would free up Ollie, the singer, to go off and be Ollie without having to put his foot in front of it and not be able to move.  Luckily, someone “borrowed” a cement block from the gas station next door so I no longer had to serve as a human paperweight.
     After Killer Of Sheep, it was revealed to me that I had a Caustic Christ sized hole in my heart that I didn't know needed filling.  The last time I saw Caustic Christ play was at the Oakland Beehive when they opened for D.R.I. which had to have been around 2000 or so.  That was also the night that I met Kurt Brecht and talked to him about writing for a while at the merch table.
     My Caustic Christ records were always in my listening rotation but I didn't realize it until they crashed into “Mirror Punching” while I was standing stage right that, yes, in fact, they really were that good.  And my epiphany lasted all of five songs because that's when the power went out.
     My first thought was, “Oh, shit.  I kicked the plug out of the wall” because I was standing next to an outlet.  This lack of electricity had to somehow be my fault even though I was standing still.
     Sadly, it was nothing as simple as plugging something back in.  There was a fast moving storm that moved through Lawrenceville and took the roof off of a building.  The debris from the building took out a transformer and power to most of the neighborhood along with it.
     The second half of the Caustic Christ set was scrapped and the organizers went into damage control in an effort to get the show back on its legs.  While I was sitting around to see how things would play out, it dawned on me that I had a camera so off I went to Peter Parker the shit out of the storm damage.  This also gave me a chance to get some distance from the venue.  Since there was no A/C, it got really hot really fast so almost everyone was hanging around outside trying to entertain themselves.
     I picked the right direction to start walking because it wasn't long before I saw the flashing lights and kept walking toward them.  The storm had removed a the roof from a building on 48th St. and not so gently put it down on the sidewalk on the other side of Butler St.  The streets were cordoned off so cars and pedestrians had to detour down the narrow side streets.
     By the time I had gotten back to the club, a few camping generators had shown up and extension cords were being run back and forth.
     It took a bit of creativity but Sheer Terror was able to play with only the vocals running through the PA which was hooked up to one generator and the amps were plugged into another.
     Due to the delay, the remaining bands had to play abbreviated sets because there was also a curfew on the show even though it was 18 and over.  Set lists went out the window and the three remaining bands were calling audibles to get their time in.
     There was finally a stroke of good luck when the power came back on during Drop Dead's set. Which was a good thing just to get some air flowing around the club.  There was so much humidity in the room that it looked like someone had just mopped the floor.
     Poison Idea finished out the night and I was glad that I got to see them since this is supposedly going to be their last tour.  As soon as they walked off stage, Greg and I ran onto the stage packed up his drums and headed for the exit.
.     .     .
Interlude:
     Here's a brief history lesson for the unfamiliar that may get lost in the weeds.  This is all coming from memory so there might accuracy issues.
     At one time Aus-Rotten members included Dave Trenga (vocals), Corey Lyons (bass), Eric Good (guitar) and Matt Garabedian (drums).  The band split into two with Dave and Matt forming Behind Enemy Lines and Eric and Corey going off to start Caustic Christ.
     This means that all four members of Aus-Rotten were playing Skull Fest at some point over the course of the weekend.
.     .     .
Night Four:  Cattivo
     As much as I wanted to hit the afternoon matinee to see Loose Nukes, I had to pass in order to run errands and get things ready for the coming week.   Hydration and nutrients were once again in high demand.  A mountain of sauteed cauliflower covered with General Tso's sauce and kale was on the menu for dinner.
     I almost didn't make it out of the house.  By 6:30, my body was starting to rebel against the abuse I had been putting it through and wanted to get reacquainted with my couch.  I figured it was one last show so out the door I went.  If I'd had enough, I could always head home.
     This final night of Skull Fest was also the thirtieth anniversary celebration for the label Profane Existence.  Not only have they been releasing punk and metal records for the past thirty years, they are also the perpetrators behind the recent Aus-Rotten reissues that sound amazing.
     After the first two bands, the depression had come bursting through the door like a pre-racist tirade Kramer.  The person carrying on at the top of their lungs about the cocaine bender they had been on all weekend did not help my mood either.  I put the camera away and was about to bail but I forced myself to hang around for Behind Enemy Lines.  It was time to end my streak of not seeing them play over all these years.
     Behind Enemy Lines is easily in the top ten bands that Pittsburgh has ever produced.  Lyrically and sonically on point all of the time.  Caustic Christ guitar player Bill Chamberlain, who was also in Behind Enemy Lines at one time, sat in for a few songs to end the set.
     Members of Behind Enemy Lines left the stage, except for Dave and Matt.  Corey and Eric walked onto the stage with their instruments.
     From my perch behind the stage right speaker stack, I was about to witness Aus-Rotten playing live for the first time in I don't know how many years.  Suddenly, the exhaustion and depression fell away and were replaced with giddy anticipation.
     Over the twenty some years that I have been going to shows, I had been in rooms in which the crowd had completely lost their collective shit.  Or at least I thought I had until Aus-Rotten slammed into “Xenophobia.”  The term “ape-shit” would not adequately describe the energy of the crowd.
     Then they went into “Fuck Nazi Sympathy” and I thought the club was about to become a hole in the ground.  I had to put the camera away and help hold the speaker stack that was almost knocked over from the amount of movement in the crowd.
     Aus-Rotten only played two songs but they provided the much needed release of energy that I think most people in the room have been feeling for the past few years.  There were people leaving the pit in tears when the band was done.
     I have listened to those two songs so many times over the years that they have seeped into my DNA but I had chills and was in a daze for few minutes after all was said and done because I had never seen seen them with my own eyes before.  I don't know what the legacy of Aus-Rotten is or what other people think of their records but that band carries a lot of weight with me.
     I staggered back to the car and made my way home even though there was still one band left to play.  The hour was getting late and the alarm was set to go off sooner than later.  When I did get home I still had the shakes from Aus-Rotten and only managed an hour of sleep before I had to head into day job.
     Having to spend eight hours surrounded by the stupidity of corporate Amerikkka after seeing Aus-Rotten was damn near impossible.  It was a feat of strength every time someone opened their stupid face in my general direction not to yell, “FUCK YOU!!!  I saw Aus-Rotten play two songs last night so FUCK YOU!!!”  Those people would never understand because it didn't involve their fantasy league or “reality” television shows.
.     .     .
     The organizers and volunteers of Skull Fest are owed a large debt for putting the fest together.  It is a massive logistical undertaking and that's before things outside of their control start going wrong. From dealing with skittish club management/security to having trained medical volunteers with NARCAN at each show.  Since I normally stay home when it comes to these things it was amazing to see the amount of work everyone was putting in to pull it all off and rolling with the unexpected when they had to.


No comments:

Post a Comment