Wednesday, August 21, 2019

My Skull Fest Adventures: Part I


     Skull Fest was last week (8/15 through 8/18) and after there being ten of the damned things, I finally made it to the eleventh.  It was four days of dehydration and exhaustion that taught me a few things about myself and my limitations.  Here's a rundown of my misadventures over the first two days along with my inability to understand that I am way too old and out of shape for this shit.
.     .     .
Night One:  Babyland
     I came running out of day job in search of food and coffee in order to maintain some level of functionality.  The first mistake of my Skull Fest journey was made immediately when I thought it was a good idea to head in the direction of Subway for dinner.  At least I had a gift card.
     After ingesting a sandwich that could easily be ranked in the top three most disappointing sandwiches that I have ever eaten, I was off to Zeke's for caffeine.  And as if the universe knew that I needed coffee and was in a hurry, it threw in my path a woman that had seemingly wandered in from the suburbs to buy coffee beans without the mental capacity to purchase coffee beans.  Unwilling to read the descriptions that were printed on the bags, she had the lone employee explain to her the roast and flavor of each type of bean.  After fifteen long minutes of astonishing indecision, the employee was relieved to discover that I knew what I wanted and had the exact change to pay for it.  Coffee in hand, I was finally on my way to the venue.
     The first few bands were really fun but as the night wore on the beer throwers became more abundant.  That is an activity that I will never understand.  I could give two shits about beer but I would give a spilt cup of coffee a memorial fitting for General Organa.  Not a single drop is wasted let alone willingly thrown across a room.
     By the time the last band went on I had had my fill for the evening.   I took some pictures and bailed so I could rest up for the following day.
     The highlights for me were Charged DIS and Nandas.
.     .     .
Night Two:  Spirit and Cattivo
     My second night of Skull Fest began with learning my lesson from the previous day and not going to Subway.  I also heeded the warning I was given many years ago about the pizza at Spirit.  It was once described to me as “overpriced, garbage pizza.”  So I made my first pilgrimage to B52, in Lawrenceville.  I went with the seitan shawarma wrap and a side of sauteed mushrooms and kale.  The food was fantastic but I got hung up on the coffee order.
     For a place that put coffee on Front St. when I walked in the door, they sure did serve up a tiny cup of iced coffee.  In my blurry eyed exhaustion, I almost asked if they could bring over ten more of them.  I also made the mistake of going with coconut milk instead of almond milk.  I don't think the almond milk would have panned out either but coconut milk is a sure fire way to fuck up a cup of coffee.  And of course, I still slugged it back.  With intentions of hitting two venues in one night and not a drop of coffee between the two, my precious life blood could not be wasted.
     After an oddly invasive pat down that was very reminiscent of Stage AE, I was granted entry to Spirit to see Pandemix, Humanmania and T.A.Z.
     I'm not sure who was responsible for it but whoever thought to play The Birthday Party over the PA before the bands started deserves a medal of some sort.  That was exactly what my ears needed to get ready for the evening.
     I saw Pandemix back in April at The Rock Room.  They were good then but this time around they outdid themselves by leaps and bounds.  I don't know if it was because of the better quality PA they were playing through or if it was the miles they've travelled since but they tightened up their attack.
     T.A.Z. was a pleasant surprise.  Their singer had a very carefree approach that reminded me of Polly Styrene from the X-Ray Spex.  If I was thinking, I would have hit the merch table to see if they had any records but for whatever reason I failed to do so.
     As much as I wanted to see Rubella Ballet and The Mob, I skipped out to give myself a break before the late show at Cattivo got started.  Two days of work mixed with two nights of shows were starting to take a toll.
     Lawrenceville isn't a neighborhood that I've spent any real amount of time in so I was glad to take the opportunity to walk around a for a while between venues.  During my walk from Spirit to Cattivo, I noticed how complete the gentrification/colonization of Lawrenceville has become.  I couldn't help but stop and laugh at the open air cornhole court that I had passed.  The self-proclaimed future CEO's and financial criminals of Amerikkka were out in full force to get their drink on, on a Friday night. Butler St. has certainly become the Carson St. of the eastern part of the city.
     After successfully answering the three questions posed by the security trolls at Cattivo, I made my way down to the basement for the first band.  The club was split between the first floor and the basement so bands could play on each floor with only a small amount of overlap.
     As I was watching the first two bands in the basement, I noticed the crowd seemed to be more and more lubricated as the time went on.  My guess is that the folks that were attending the afternoon matinee show at The Rock Room and the other show at Spirit were filtering into Cattivo.  After a long day of pounding PBR, the drunkards were drunkier than usual.  In an effort to avoid them, I went back upstairs to wait for the first band to hit stage there.
     That first band was De Rodillas and the main reason I was still sticking around.  I saw them play a few months ago at Babyland, opening for Torso and immediately became a fan.  The band's singer has that feral approach that you wouldn't want to cross paths with in a dark alley and she just lets it rip.  Relentless and so much fun.
     As much as I wanted to stick around for Generacion Suicida, I decided to head home.  There were too many drunks for my limited amount of patience and I needed to rest up for the following night.
.     .     .
     Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion of my Skull Fest Adventures.   Same Skull time. Same Skull channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment