Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Bad Religion At The Roxian Theater, 8/4/2019


     Bad Religion came through Pittsburgh this past Sunday (8/4/2019.)  They played at the Roxian Theater which is a venue I had not been to before and rather much enjoyed.
     According to the house sound engineers, they are still trying to fine tune the room for vocals so once that's done the Roxian should be a pretty decent place to see a show.  The staff was friendly and the security was much less aggressive towards concert goers as compared to some other venues in town.
     The Lawrence Arms, a three piece band from Chicago, were the opening act.  They are one of the many bands that I have heard of but my ears never crossed paths with over the years.  If I hadn't spent way too much money on Bad Religion merch, I would have definitely picked up some of their records.  They are certainly going to be on my list the next time I hit the record store.
     It had been too many years since the last time I saw Bad Religion play.  It was November 12th, 2005 at the Rostraver Ice Arena with Anti-Flag opening.  And the time before that was at Club Laga on October 15th, 2000.  Bad Religion did come through last year with the Punk In Drublic tour but I skipped it because it was a steep ticket price for too many other bands that I didn't really care about at an outdoor venue that is next to train tracks.
     After the blood loss and stupidity of the previous day, going to see Bad Religion was a sorely needed catharsis.  My plan of being a nerd by keeping a running set list in my phone immediately went out the window as soon as the band hit stage with “Them And Us.”  By the end of the song my eyes were welling up.  All I was capable of doing for the rest of the evening was singing along as song after song washed over me.
     Dr. Graffin and company can still hit it harder than most punk bands half their age.  The set list was certainly assembled to please the crowd with the greatest hits.  But being a band as good as Bad Religion has been for damn near forty years most of their songs could qualify as greatest hits.  As with most bands, the standouts for me were the newer songs.  The band perked up when they played songs off of Age Of Unreason since they haven't been playing those songs every night for a decade or so.
     Age Of Unreason has quickly become one of my favorite Bad Religion records.  It hits all of the buttons that a Bad Religion record is expected to hit but it came out at a time when my brain really needed a new Bad Religion record and I've been jamming it into my ears on a more than regular basis.
     The band really didn't mention any of the current events going on in the world.  Letting their music speak for them.  Bad Religion’s been singing about this shit ever since How Could Hell Be Any Worse?  As they were walking off stage, the bass player, Jay Bentley, did have some words for the crowd.  It was pretty much along the lines of stick together because we're all we've got.
     I did have the pleasure of sharing Bad Religion with my daughter.  Seeing her jump along to “New Dark Ages” was worth the price of admission.  There are few moments in my life that I can point to with absolute certainty and say that I experienced true joy.  That was one of them.  Being able to share Punk Rock with her is one of the best parts of being a parent.
     After twenty-seven songs of all killer-no filler, it was time to head back to the car.  I'm not saying that Bad Religion could cure all of life's problems but at least for one night they did make the load a little easier to bear.
     The only downside of the evening was having to miss seeing Killer Of Sheep who were playing across town at the same time.  I have been jonesing to see them play again since the day after the last time I saw them.  Luckily, Skullfest is coming up and they are one of the many bands scheduled to play.

Here's the setlist:

  1. Them And Us
  2. End Of History
  3. Fuck You
  4. Stranger Than Fiction
  5. The Dichotomy
  6. Recipe For Hate
  7. Chaos From Within
  8. Los Angeles Is Burning
  9. The Handshake
  10. My Sanity
  11. Atomic Garden
  12. Lose Your Head
  13. Suffer
  14. No Control
  15. Against The Grain
  16. Skyscraper
  17. Anesthesia
  18. I Want To Conquer The World
  19. 21st Century (Digital Boy)
  20. Generator
  21. New Dark Ages
  22. You
  23. Do The Paranoid Style
  24. Fuck Armageddon... This Is Hell
  25. Sorrow
  26. Infected
  27. American Jesus




No comments:

Post a Comment