Thursday, July 18, 2019

I Went To The Deutschtown Music Festival And Didn't Even Get A Lousy T-Shirt

     I am officially old.  I have had suspicions of this development for quite some time but this past weekend provided irrefutable confirmation.
     I ended up dipping a toe into the Deutschtown Music Festival for the first time.  Not because I had an interest in any of the several hundred bands that played but because my daughter had friends that were playing in a few of the bands that were scheduled to play.  Normally, I'm the one dragging her about town to see bands that I'm sure she could care less about.  With no amount of uncertainty, I have been relegated to driver and ATM.
     Earlier this century, I had sworn off attending all day festivals in any capacity.  My only exception to this rule was if Iggy Pop were somehow coaxed into coming to Pittsburgh to play one of these things.  I won't even go to an evening show out at whatever their calling the Starlake Amphitheater these days because outdoor shows have never been anything but frustrating to me whether I was working the show or just there as a spectator.
     I have always believed that live music belonged in a poorly lit room.  I have heard tales of larger metal acts that have large scale light and pyro/smoke machine setups having to play in the middle of the day because of festival scheduling.  They end up looking like a bunch of dead guys having a cookout on stage.  How embarrassing.
     Trying to piece together the logistics of seeing two bands in a sea of stages and venues took a bit of planning.  Since I hail from the South Hills, traveling to the North Side of Pittsburgh involves bridges and tunnels so I have never spent all that much time in that part of town.  I have no knowledge of side streets, short cuts or places to park the car that don't involve meters.
     I'm more familiar with the side streets around rock clubs in other towns than I am with the North Side.  I can't even get over to there without GPS.
     The bands that the kid wanted to see were playing an hour apart from each other on opposite ends of the festival.  Luckily the organizers of the festival saw fit to have a shuttle bus running in a loop throughout the day.
     The first stop was the parking lot of a distillery that had what could theoretically be called a stage in the back corner.  We got there just as a band was starting their set.  It was two saxophone players and a drummer that were bent on trying to play hip hop covers as jazz songs.  When they weren't slaughtering current hip hop songs, they were trying to be a more upbeat version of Morphine.
     Needless to say, the day drunk white hipsters were eating up this off tempo bullshit like it was the second coming of John Coltrane.  I've seen Morphine.  Fuck these people.
     After a few minutes of trying to politely stay out of the way, a food truck pulled into the parking lot and I had to find a new spot.  This made a not so crowded area suddenly heavily populated.  Then the food truck fired up their generator so they could start slinging tacos which made it more difficult to hear what the band was trying to do.
     I started having flashbacks to every nightmare show that I ever worked.  Those shows where the organizers didn't really care about the music and only used it as a vehicle to sell booze and food to people.  Trying to lug equipment through a sea of drunkards that are unaware of their surroundings.
     I tried as much as I could to be on my best behavior so as to not sour the day out for the kid. Luckily for me, after saying hello to her friends she came back over to where I was hiding and asked if we could leave.  After dealing with the crowd and the heat for an hour, she had had enough and was ready to head home before her friends even played.
     I did have a moment of pride on the drive home when she mentioned how she felt a sense of community was lacking in the crowd compared to the punk shows that I've taken her to.  That's when I had to explain that most music festivals aren't about music.  I also told her a few stories about Warped Tour, X-Fest and M-Squared that were more trouble than they were worth.
     The Deutschtown Music Festival felt like it was more about putting the North Side and the local businesses on display than it was about putting music on display.  And that's okay.  It reminded me of the street fairs and neighborhood carnivals of my youth.  Only on a much larger scale that immediately cranked my anxiety up to eleven before I even left the house.
     I was glad to see that she was smart enough to recognize a crowd that she didn't want to be part of and took action to get away from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment