Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Time To Put This Wretched Year In It's Grave

     Since I could give a shit about Spotify and refuse to contribute to their data mining concealed as a music service and rather than piling on with yet another year end “best of” list that no one cares about, I thought I'd put together some reflections on the past twelve months of me getting off of my couch.
     It's been about a year since I've been out and about with a camera and two years since I've started writing again.  Any concerns that this is a failed experiment have been put out with the garbage.
     Blinding people with a flash while they're trying to play music has been a rewarding experience. Getting out to more shows in order to take pictures has partially gotten me out of the antisocial rut that I've been in for the past forty years.
     Learning to make friends and be appreciative of them is a really weird thing to have to figure out when that should have been taken care of back in the early '80s.  With the way things had been going since childhood, I didn't think I'd ever need to develop the skills necessary to build and maintain friendships.  I'm still not used to people saying hello to me when I walk into a venue.  Having spent so long in my self-imposed exile, I forgot how to handle even the most basic social interactions.
     One of the other things that I'm learning through all of this is to just do the damned thing.  To put the work in and then let the work speak for itself.  Much like any other creative endeavor, reaction to the words and the pictures are all subjective.  If I put as much honesty as I can into each sentence and hope the pictures don't come out too blurry, the quality will take care of itself.
     My rudimentary road crew skills have come in handy over the past year, as well.  Since I'm at the show early to stake out a spot with a decent sight line to take pictures, I'll help set up and tear down if needed.  I still have the mindset to do whatever is needed to make the show work and it is nice to use that part of my brain again.  I do feel an odd sense of pride to know that as soon as my hand lands on an amp, drum or road case that I can still flip the switch that turns on the lizard brain that is in service to nothing but making the show happen.
     I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to now and am finally starting to get comfortable in my own skull after a lifetime of feeling lost or that I had missed a boat of some sort.  I still have difficulty saying “yes” to some of the opportunities that have come my way because of an immense amount of imposter syndrome.  This is where doing the damned thing helps to clear the obstacle of my own neuroses that I unfailingly put in front of myself.
     Things will be busy straight through to the end of the year and 2020 will be a big year for multiple reasons.  Hopefully, I'll be up to the task at hand.

Below are some of my favorite shows and pictures of the past year, in no particular order:


     Killer Of Sheep opening for Minority Threat up in Cleveland at the end of March.  This show was stacked with so many great bands. The lineup was For Your Health, Killer Of Sheep, Soul Glo, MAAFA and Minority Threat.  More about that show can be read here.


     Getting to see Control Top twice within a week when they toured with Laura Jane Grace & The Devouring Mothers.  Once in Pittsburgh and then a week later in Cleveland.  I knew what to expect from Laura Jane Grace because anything she's involved with never disappoints but I was completely floored by Control Top.  Their record, Covert Contracts, was easily one of my favorites to come out over the last year and they are a devastating live band with a scorched earth approach to playing.


     Seeing Le Butcherettes twice within the same year was also a great privilege.  They were quite possibly one of the hardest working bands of 2019.  Le Butcherettes played Pittsburgh so many times over the past year they could damn near qualify as a local band.  They came through once on their own tour and then again as an opener each time for Flaming Lips, L7, Social Distortion and Incubus. I caught them on their own tour and when they played with L7.  As a lead singer, Teri Gender Bender has that thing that Iggy Pop and Keith Morris have which is an undeniable ability to single handedly level an audience.


     The Skull Records birthday party at Babyland was a good night.  Since it was an all ages show, I was able to take the kid with me so she could experience Submachine and Killer Of Sheep.  She always wanted to see the bands perform after hearing their music playing in the house and hearing my stories about the shows at the dinner table.  She was finally able to witness the mayhem of both bands and a true DIY punk show.  It was worth the price of admission to see the look on her face when I handed her the camera so I could catch and release drunk and sweaty punks to keep them from crashing into the soundboard.





No comments:

Post a Comment