Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A Night Of Tears Followed By A Night Of Rage

     Around 9:30pm this past Friday (3/22/2019), the status quo held strong when the verdict of not guilty came back from the jury in the trial involving the murder of Antwon Rose II.
     The prospects of a positive outcome were not high to begin with but once it was announced that the jury was being put together out of town that pretty much sealed it.  Especially when the jury was handed the case on a Friday afternoon.  Deliberate for a few hours on Friday night and they could be home by lunchtime on Saturday.
     I was shaking with anger and sadness to the point where I was unable to tie my shoes when I was about to hit the streets and figured it would be best for all involved if I wasn't out on the roads driving around.  I was left to checking in with the internet every so often as I was yelling at my television.
     The local television coverage could be boiled down to scared white news anchors sounding the alarm to scared white viewers to not leave their suburban houses.  Describing peaceful protests and marching as riots.  Aw, what a shame a bunch of gentrifying colonizers had their overpriced dinners interrupted and had to sit in traffic for a few minutes.  At least they made it home to their families.
     One of the local political analysts went so far as to say that protesting was not the solution and that people should put their energies into voting.  I guess this political starfucker never thought that it was possible for people to do two things.  He might want to check the bottoms of his shoes before he goes into the house because he really stepped in it this time.
     Protests are gatherings of like minded people.  This can lead to organizing.  Organizing can lead to people running for office or ballot initiatives to change laws.  Ask our new state representatives Summer Lee and Sara Innamorato.  They are proof of this very basic civics lesson that a political “editor” that gets paid to talk for a living should know.
     Protesting is one part of a multifaceted approach to wrenching power away from the pigfuckers. Said pigfuckers will never cede power if we simply say “please” based solely on the fact that they don't want to share.  That's why there will always be pleas for civility and decorum.  When being called on their bullshit they will always say that we are being impolite when doing so.
     The local bigots came out in force in online comment sections.  Courageous bunch they are. Smart, too.  Wondering why the people marching in the streets weren't at work when it was a student organized walkout.
     Luckily, Punk Rock saved the day.  Killer Of Sheep was playing a show up in Cleveland and I had been dragging my feet on making the decision whether to make the trip or not.  The events happening around town pushed me over the edge and northward up the highway.  It felt good to get out of town and leave some of the weight behind for a few hours.
     The venue was a place called Mulberry's which was an indoor volleyball/basketball facility with plastic sports tile for flooring.  There was a pizza place/bar in the upstairs so at least there were food options on site since we were located under a bridge with nothing else in the area.
     Mulberry's certainly had the vibe of an early Fugazi show since it looked like the gym in a middle school.  Other folks felt like they were at a school dance and I guess some part of me did as well since I found myself standing along one of the sidewalls for most of the night.
     The lineup was Minority Threat, MAAFA, Soul Glo, Killer Of Sheep and For Your Health.  For Your Health was up first.  They were from the Columbus, OH area and looked to be a rather young band.  If they keep at it, in a few years they could end up being quite formidable.  Sound wise, For Your Health had a very post-hardcore/At The Drive-In thing going on which even At The Drive-In can't seem to do anymore.  I was halfway down the turnpike on my way home when I realized that I forgot to pick up the singles that they had at the merch table.
     Killer Of Sheep went on second and provided the catharsis that I sorely needed.  They hit stage and went off like a bomb.  I guess they were feeling the same weight that I was.  The band's usual fury had a little extra on the attack this time around.
     The band caught a friendly hail of boos from the crowd during the intro to “Firewater” when Ollie compared Flint, MI to the equally polluted cities of Pittsburgh and Cleveland by saying, “Your river actually caught on fire, once.”  Apparently, the people of Cleveland are still a little sensitive about that.
     Fortunately, Greg The Drummer decided to use his own kit.  The drums that were provided seemed awful small and he would have ended up walking right through the kit.  There wasn't much for the kick drum to dig into so it kept taking off on him.  This kept Ollie immobilized since he had to keep one foot planted in front of the drum to keep it in place.
     Helping the band load in, set up, tear down and load out was definitely healthy for the psyche.  I was able to focus on the task at hand and get out of my head for a while.  Lugging drums and amps got me right down to the lizard brain of “make the show work” and all of my other concerns and issues fell to the wayside.
     Third on the bill was Soul Glo, from Philadelphia.  The first time I encountered this band was back in November of 2017 at the Mr. Roboto Project for Anti-Flag’s Anti-Fest.  I was floored immediately back then and Saturday night was no different.  Soul Glo is one of those bands that gives me confidence that the future of Punk Rock is in good hands.  Even with a drummer that was filling in, they didn't skip a beat and tore it up for the length of their set.  I can't wait until they put out a new record.
     Hailing from New York and up fourth was, MAAFA.  The band's singer, Flora Lucini, describes the band as Afro-Progressive Hardcore.  And dammit, if she wasn't right about that.  The songs were tight and the arrangements had more density to them than run of the mill hardcore.
     MAAFA was certainly the pleasant surprise of the night.  Their drummer had the kind of swing that made me want to put him in a time machine to go up against Coltrane on Elvin Jones' night off.
     The headliner and organizer of the evening was Minority Threat.  They put the show together as a release party for an EP.  I crossed paths with Minority Threat several months ago on Bandcamp off of a recommendation from former Vice/Noisey writer, and current labor rabble rouser, Kim Kelly.  I was an instant fan of the band and had to pick my jaw up off of the floor when they started playing shows with Killer Of Sheep every now and then.  This was the first time that I was able to make it out to see them and Minority Threat did not disappoint.
     Minority Threat has an approach that would fall in the category of unfuckwithable.  They were the perfect band to bring the night to a close with a burst of energy to get me back on the road.
     There was a complete and total lack of bullshit attitudes throughout the course of the night and a groundswell of positivity.  If that's where Punk Rock is heading, I can't wait to get there with it.

Here are links for those who may be interested:



No comments:

Post a Comment