Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Not At Gooski's, 1/4/2019

     Friday night, 1/4/2019, the Punk Rock was on full display at Gooski's, in Polish Hill.  The bill was Smoke Wizard, Hellfuck, Rebreather and Submachine.
     I have no pictures from the show this time around and have no idea how things went because I was not in attendance.
     I had every intention of being there.  The night before, I had charged up the camera, packed my bag and grabbed a fresh set of earplugs.  Everything was ready to go.
     I woke up the morning of the show feeling fine and made it to day job.  As 8am rolled around I was suddenly feeling less than fine.  The cold sweats had set in along with nausea, the shakes and what felt like a Buick parked in my left lung.  All I wanted to do was fall over and sleep but I still had seven hours of pretending to be busy to get through.
     For the past two weeks there has been an illness going from cubicle to cubicle like a fog of mucus rolling in over the pier.  No one that I work with seems too interested in concealing their cough or sneezes so inevitably it was my turn to have this vile demon take up residency in my sinus cavity.
     I made it home, jammed some food down my gullet along with enough cold medicine to down an elephant and hit the couch to see if two hours of sleep would help.  Sadly, the rest did not help.
     I was almost out the door when it dawned on me that I was being an idiot.  Loopy from cold medicine and the cold itself, I came to the conclusion that I should not be driving.  Putting my carcass back on the couch instead of in a club for a few hours was the better decision.  Plus sharing whatever the hell was wrong with me with a bar full of people would just be plain rude.
     As much as I wanted to hear three bands that I had never heard of before and see Submachine play for the fourth time in a month, I stand by my choice to fall asleep while watching The Usual Suspects. I couldn't even muster the energy to change the channel when I remembered that Kevin Spacey was in the movie and I started to feel a little gross about giving him my attention.
     I'll check out those other bands on the internet and try to make it out to see them play in the future. For now it's bed rest and a stack of DVDs to go with buckets of green tea.
     I will live to Punk Rock another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment