Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Paying The Ferryman For A Bagel & A Schmear

     A few weeks ago, I walked into the break room at day job to witness something that I had only heard about but never thought that someone would actually do.  One of the mouth breathing geniuses that I work with was jamming a knife into a toaster in order to liberate her bagel from its evil clutches.
     I stopped cold in my tracks to see how electrifying this woman's breakfast was about to get. Especially since the toaster was still plugged in.
     Ever since I was a child, I remember being told by my parents, the teachers at school and PSAs during Saturday morning cartoons to never stick anything into a toaster.  I guess some folks didn't get the memo because I sure thought that it was common knowledge.
     Not only was the toaster still plugged in, she was also cradling it under her arm while stabbing away at it so more than likely she was getting burned by the toaster while facing the possibility of electrocution.
     Now call me crazy but I don't think I have ever put myself in mortal danger over my desire for breakfast foods.  I am a sucker for an everything bagel with cream cheese but I don't want to gamble with The Reaper over it while getting burns all over my arm.
     This was clearly some evolutionary/too stupid to live type activity and I was most certainly going to stick around to see if I needed to dial 911.  After about a minute of grunting and stabbing at the toaster, the bagel was freed and the high stakes game of Operation had come to an end without anyone's nose lighting up.
     Crisis averted.  Or so I thought.
     A few days later, she's at it again with the knife in the toaster.  This has become an almost daily occurrence.  I am no expert in statistics and probability but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by thinking that the odds of this idiot dying a bagel related death are pretty high.
     One of the many mind boggling things involved with this is that there is a fully operational toaster oven on the counter next to the regular toaster.  I guess some people just like to live more dangerously than I do when it comes to making breakfast.  Staring down Death every morning for the sake of carb loading is something that I am apparently not brave enough to go through with.  I almost want to ask her if she'd like to stand in a small tub of water while she preps her bagel but she'd probably be game for upping the ante.
     There is a special kind of stupid that can somehow wander through the world unscathed by its own stupidity.  This person is a licensed driver and a licensed gun owner.  How she has made it into her fifties without something horrifyingly stupid happening to her well-being is beyond me.
     I have stopped trying to figure out why society and the world around me seems to be getting worse.  No wonder we, as a species, can't manage to take the big steps necessary to confront the problems that face humanity.  The big, dumb animal known as homo-sapiens is too busy still sticking knives into toasters.


No comments:

Post a Comment