Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Maybe I'm What's Wrong With That Record

     Over my many years of listening to music, there have been times when a record or an artist didn't line up with me or I just didn't get what they were up to.
     For years, I had an averse reaction to the Velvet Underground and Suicide.  As these were both bands that launched a thousand or so other bands, I knew there had to be something there that I was missing.  I also had a similar issue with David Bowie because I was only familiar with his mid-80s singles that were on the radio and was completely ignorant to his first four albums.
     Instead of dismissing this music and pitching the records into my local used bin, I put them back on the shelf and would go back to them every so often.  A few years ago, I put on Loaded by the Velvet Underground and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I suddenly locked in and went backwards through their catalogue.  Then I went from their first album back to Loaded.  I had a new fascination that I could not shake.  Luckily, this was right around the time where all of their albums were getting the deluxe anniversary reissue treatment.  Each one was bound in a coffee table book with photos and essays.  There were new stereo and mono mixes along with outtakes, live recordings and a two-bowl corner sink.  I didn't fall down a rabbit hole so much as a bottomless pit.
     It took until this past year for me to wrap my brain around Suicide.  Alan Vega and Martin Rev put together a dense pile of sound that is not easy to listen to and are certainly not for the faint of heart. Their first album is the one you put on at the end of night to tell your guests the party's over.  My way into their music was through Alan Vega's final solo record IT which was released shortly after his passing.  I suddenly understood what Trent Reznor is always reaching for but always falling just short of.  They are an all out aural assault that can cause brain damage and alienate your loved ones.  Their music is art that challenges you to keep up with what they are doing.  It took me ages to get to them and I have been greatly rewarded for my efforts.
     With Bowie, I think my issues were my own maturity and a lack of access to his first four albums. In my younger days, even if I had access to them, I don't think I would have had an appreciation for his older albums due to symptoms of being an angry young man.  Now that I am an angry old man that tires easily, I can slow down and find great joy in listening to The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars.  After repeated listenings, I am thoroughly convinced that it is one of the greatest albums ever committed to tape.  Sadly, the new boxsets that are coming out every fall are sonically lacking and do a great injustice to the man's work.
      A lot of people have problems with an artist's newer music.  Saying that their new record doesn't hold up to their older records.  If I encounter this in myself, I usually put the record back on the shelf for a few weeks and then go back to it.  Maybe I wasn't ready for it or my expectations were built up in a way no record could meet.  Or maybe I was just in a shitty mood and should have reached for the Slayer instead.  These people create music for a living.  Maybe they have a better idea of what they're trying for than I do so I'll give it multiple listens before writing it off.  And that rarely happens.  It may take a few spins for me to catch up but more often than not I can eventually see their forrest through the trees.  Besides, if a band put out the same record every other year, wouldn't that get boring?  They're growing and changing just like the rest of us so it's logical that their art would grow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment