Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A Man Without A Tribe

     One of the advantages of not being part of a clique in the local punk scene is that I am able to stand back on the periphery and just be a fan of the music.  When I go to a show, I normally stand by the soundboard or in a corner by the nearest exit.  This is an attempt to be left alone to enjoy the music which is the sole reason I left the house and put up with traffic to drive across town in the first place.
     I'm a generation behind the one that included Submachine and Aus-Rotten, and two behind the one that included Half Life and Real Enemy, so I don't have a personal connection to any of the members of those bands.  My only connection is through the records which were readily available at my local store.  I came into the scene from the metal end of the spectrum because I worked at a sandwich shop with the singer of the band I lugged gear for.  My introduction to the punkier end of the pool came from friends of my sister.
     I didn't have to put up with the politics of the scene or any he said/he said conflicts that always cropped up when people got competitive.  I didn't have to conform to any punk rock fashion uniform. As much as these people didn't care about how they looked, they sure did care way too much about how everyone else looked.  I would dress for the weather instead of wearing a denim jacket, bedazzled with spikes and the sleeves cut off in the middle of winter.  Chuck Taylor's don't really work too well when there's a few inches of snow on the ground and the temperature might get close to 20.
     One of the more rigid, implied rules of the scene was to toil away in obscurity for a few years and then break up or risk any and all punk rock credibility.  If your band started gaining traction and you were able to tour outside of the tri-state area, in places that weren't basements, you were cast out and ridiculed.  I was always under the impression that being in a band and staying in a band was the goal. That's the difference between a weekend warrior-hobbyist that still has a day job and an actual musician.
     If a band was able to manage being on the road for eleven months out of the year, that was somehow considered “selling out.”  I think it was jealousy on the part of everyone that was still stranded in Pittsburgh.  Or, maybe, it was their lack of ambition that kept them tied down to playing the same bar every other weekend while the same fifteen to twenty people drank at them.  What's more punk rock/anarchist than making a living outside of the usual economic means by living off of your art?
     Even when I worked shows on the regular, I would head home as soon as the van was loaded unless there was a stop for post-show food.  I had more of a connection to the music than the people involved with playing it so when the music was over there was no point in hanging around so I'd split.  My usual standoff-ish relationship with humanity prevented me from wanting to hang out while folks participated in post-show extracurricular chemistry.  As I look back on it, I think I was looking for something a little more high minded and artsy than the bunch of schlubs looking to get laid because they were in a band that I ended up with.
     There are no pictures of me hanging out outside of a venue before or after a show with a group of friends but I still have all of the records and I still listen to them on a regular basis.  I couldn't tell you if they were any good because I'm too close to them to listen objectively and I think that's okay.  The records are my yearbook or shoebox of dogeared pictures and I'm alright with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment