Thursday, February 13, 2020

Trying To Rise Above The Noise


     Recently, I've been thinking about the divisions in the punk scene and those who take it upon themselves to determine what is “punk” or not.  Everyone, including myself, seems to have their own set of arbitrary rules that they think everyone else should adhere to.
     If a band or person falls outside of these rules they are immediately dismissed and met with derision.  I find it odd that a style of music that was based on coloring outside of the lines turned into a scene that quickly chastises a band for coloring outside of the lines.
     I always think back to when I was in high school and the MTV trust fund punks that I went to school with had the great Rancid v. Green Day debate.  Those bands were on the “Modern Rock” radio station so frequently that I was worn out on both of them.  And neither one of those bands ever really spoke to me to begin with.
     When I gave a bit of a chuckle and an eye roll at their argument, they looked down their noses in my direction and asked me what I was listening to.  This group of people that threw the word “poser” around as if it were a slur gave the blank stare of cluelessness when I said Black Flag.
     At that time, I was working my way backwards from the Rollins Band.  Since I was only eight years old when Black Flag broke up the band was unexplored territory for me.  I had recently discovered Damaged and was mainlining all thirty five minutes of that record directly into my brain at all hours of the day.  Between “Ruby Soho” and all of the singles off of Dookie, those songs were not for me and none of them were any competition for “Rise Above” or “Room 13.”
     I was developing a taste for the extreme and more out there end of the spectrum that was far away from the radio friendly/MTV informed world that these kids were living in.  These uptight pricks also gave me my first taste of class war.  I didn't know how to give form to the thought at the time but now that I look back on it, it was definitely a bit of class war.  They would come in on Mondays with tales of kayaking, rock climbing and skiing while I sat in my room all weekend reading, writing shitty teenage poetry and listening to the CDs that I bought with my lunch money.  Those CDs were more nourishing to me than anything that could be served in the school cafeteria.
     Their dads were corporate lawyers and plastic surgeons and had no trouble throwing money at the tuition involved with going to that school.  My dad was a union wage slave that put in several hours of overtime to send me to that school and for some reason I was looked down on for that.  That's when I learned that rich people were fucked and I quickly withdrew from them.  They could keep their spikey jackets and shitty music, I made my way to the library to hang out with Sartre, Camus and any poets I could find until graduation.
     Years later, the faces have changed but the arbitrary rules and cliquey bullshit still persist.  There seems to be no way to bridge the gap between the punk bands in Pittsburgh that are interested in playing shows and building something sustainable and the bands that have a destructive, scorched earth approach to playing music.
     I have noticed that there's a part of the Pittsburgh scene that will only pay attention to bands that exist long enough to play approximately five shows and put out a demo tape.  During those five shows they'll destroy the venues and PA equipment before they fizzle out.  At some point, no one will want to host these shows and no one will want to bring their PA equipment to be doused in PBR and stomped on.
     The prevailing attitude seems to be that if you didn't want your PA equipment broken, then you shouldn't have brought it.  Which then leads me to wonder how there can be a show without a PA.  I guess that wasn't taken into consideration.
     If a band is around long enough to put out more than one record, they usually end up in a no win situation with the naysaying gatekeepers.  If they put out a record that sounds too similar to their previous work, they get slammed for putting out the same record over and over.  If a band decides to keep themselves from getting bored and puts out a record that sounds slightly different they get hit with the “What happened? They suck now” nonsense of the walking YouTube comments that only rent their music from some bullshit streaming service and never created anything in their lives.
     And how dare a band capture a decent sounding recording.  If there's anything close to a  distinguishable bass line on a record, the shouts of “Sell Outs!!!” rain down.
     It is really difficult to create something and then to be willing to share it with the rest of the world. That's why I try not to pass judgement on a band or a record.  I always ask myself the question, “Well, what band am I in?” instead of saying “Well, that sucked.”  Since these opinions are all subjective anyway, the worst I'll say is “I guess that wasn't for me” and move on to something that I really enjoy.
     One of the things that has always bothered me is the hyper competitive nature of music in Pittsburgh.  It's not sports.  There's no ranking system.  And don't we all want to get away from the every day jock bullshit that drew us to Punk in the first place?
     After all these years, I am still most comfortable listening at home.  Watching the needle land in the groove and take off at 33 and 1/3 RPMs while the music comes pouring out of the speakers is still one the most satisfying experiences that I can have.  It sure does beat catching an elbow to the head and getting sprayed with some sort of booze while trying to take pictures.
     It's been well over a month since the last time I went to a show.  I have gotten really good at talking myself out of going to several of them in the past few weeks.  I'll have my bag packed and camera charged to head out the door but through the course of the day I'll eventually convince myself that I would be better off staying in than putting up with the crowds and getting home at a late hour.  I really would have liked to have seen some of those bands but could not bring myself to venture outdoors.
     Not wanting to put up with the hassle might be part of getting older.  Either that or I'm coming to grips with no longer giving a shit and no longer being in denial about it.  Outside of the confines of my own head, none of it means anything anyway so fuck it.
     I'm not sure what could be done to close the divides and turn around the attitudes in the Pittsburgh scene and I'm also not sure if it even matters.  I'm probably the only person that thinks of this shit as if it were important but the things that keep me alive usually do draw my focus.



No comments:

Post a Comment