Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Fall Records To Give A Listen To

     As we plummet toward the end of this wretched year, we are being bombarded with a mountain of new records to help hold us up against the awfulness of the world around us.  It feels like I have been single handedly keeping the postal service in business by the amount of vinyl mailers that are on my porch every day when I get home.
.     .     .
     The Hammered Hulls self-titled seven inch that was put out by Dischord is the most frustrating of all the new records that I've picked up.  It's frustrating to me because no record should be allowed to be that good and only have three songs on it.
     The band is Alec MacKaye (The Faith, Warmers and Ian's younger brother) on vocals, Mary Timony (Autoclave, Helium and Ex Hex) on bass, Mark Cisneros on guitar and Chris Wilson on drums.
     I end up listening to the same three songs for damn near an hour hoping at some point an additional albums worth of songs will magically appear but they never do.  Hopefully this single is just the warning shot of something more to come in the near future.

Hammered Hulls--Bandcamp

.     .     .
     Monolord has once again done what they do best and dropped a building's worth of Swedish stoner/sludge onto my turntable.  No Comfort is the band's first release on Relapse Records, the long time metal label out of Upper Darby, PA.
     I'll have to do some more homework on their prior releases to confirm but I think No Comfort is the best Monolord has sounded, production wise, since I've been listening to them.  The low end rumble on the bass lines jumped out at me immediately upon first listen.
     Of course, there was the usual over abundance of vinyl options pressed that this over achieving nerd had to get his grubby little hands on.  The most creative of which was plain orange vinyl that also came with a slip cover that was made out of the same material that is used to cover Orange amplifiers.

No Comfort--Bandcamp

.     .     .
     The new incarnation of the Pixies brought forth Beneath The Eyrie.  I have really been enjoying this latest run of albums that they've been putting out.  Indie Cindy, Head Carrier and Beneath The Eyrie are very different from the Pixies first spasm of creativity.  There is no way the band could recreate the magic that brought us their earlier albums so heading in this new direction as solidly as they are is very rewarding to the ears.
     The only downside of Beneath The Eyrie is that it really makes me miss Jefferey Lee Pierce every time I listen to it.  I'm not saying that the Pixies are borrowing from the Gun Club.  The record makes me wish that Jefferey Lee Pierce was still alive and playing with some version of the Gun Club and they would tour with the Pixies.  That is a bill that I would gladly overpay Ticket Bastard fees to see. I always end up letting my depression off the leash and listening to Mother Juno after this Pixies record now.  They fit so well together.


.     .     .
     Boris came bursting out of their laboratory with Love & Evol.  They have moved over from Sargent House to Third Man for US distribution this time around.  As much as I have issues with Third Man, the label did put together two reissues of hard to come by Boris albums to go along with the new record.  Feedbacker and Akuma No Uta were early Boris releases that were always way too expensive to pick up on vinyl and at least that problem has been remedied.
     As with every Boris album Love & Evol takes multiple listens to work through the density of what the band has unleashed and I am still trying to wrap my brain around it.  Seamlessly going from soundscapes to drones to paint peeling guitar riffs to form one cohesive piece that makes me feel like I am not smart enough and need to work harder to solve that problem.
     In addition to black vinyl through Third Man's mail order, there was a tour pressing of orange and blue vinyl and an indie store exclusive of clear with orange and blue swirls.  Buyer beware on the Love & Evol tour exclusive vinyl.  As pretty as the records are, they have a distracting amount of surface noise.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the black vinyl yet to see if they suffer from the same issue.
     Feedbacker and Akuma No Uta also had tour pressings which are difficult to come by since Boris came nowhere near Pittsburgh on their tour that just ended.  To the Discogs!!!

Love & Evol--Bandcamp

.     .     .
     Until recently, I was opposed to using any public money being used to rebuild the cathedral of Notre Dame.  What changed my opinion was hearing Ghosteen by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.  They should rebuild the cathedral, have the Bad Seeds play the album front to back and then burn the fucker to the ground after the performance because that will have been the greatest thing to have ever happened in the building and it will no longer serve a purpose.
     I have only listened to the album twice but I have been stopped dead in my tracks both times.  And again, I have been confronted by art that I am not smart enough to understand without digging in with repeated listens.
     The sounds that the mad genius Warren Ellis is creating feel so incredibly large to me that the only venue that would be big enough to contain them would be a cathedral.  The only thing that I can think of that could match the enormity of the synth sounds on Ghosteen would be the pipe organ in an old church.
     As always, Nick Cave is in fine voice and making me feel more than inadequate when it comes to putting words next to each other in some sort of form.  I've already reacted more than once with “Oh, come on” to his use of language on this record and I'm sure my feelings of inadequacy will only get worse when I take a look at the lyric sheet when the vinyl comes out in November.
     It feels like Nick Cave was first in line at the talent buffet and didn't leave any for the rest of us.


.     .     .
     Iggy Pop has followed up Post Pop Depression with Free which finds the true king of rock 'n' roll flipping the switch from rabid badger to smooth crooner.
     Iggy is back in the same territory as his previous albums Preliminaires and Apres where he has stepped away from the animal and put his jazz singer chops on display.
     Lyrically, from beginning to end, Free sounds like Iggy is having fun and being playful with his word selection.  The second track, “Loves Missing,” is the standout for me.  The band establishes a groove that could crack the Earth.
     On guitar, Iggy has enlisted the soundscape talents of Sarah Lipstate who performs under the name Noveller.  She was the opening act during the Post Pop Depression tour back in 2016 and I was an immediate fan of her brand of weirdness.


.     .     .
     As I have been going back over this stack of records, it suddenly dawned on me why I was bored senseless by the new Tool album.  All of these bands and artists seem to be pushing forward and trying to break new ground with their creativity or at the very least are attempting to hone their craft. By doing that they're making me put in the same amount of effort as a listener and expanding my musical palette.
     Tool seems to have made a record for 1997 me that didn't know anything as opposed to house full of records me that is always looking for something new and weird to jam into my earholes.  I gave it three listens and was still waiting for something to happen and relieved that I only forked over money for a download.  Maybe they should have spent less time on designing the $50 CD packaging and more time on writing better songs that would challenge the listener instead of showing that they were stuck in a creative rut.
     It didn't really help their cause that I read about some of the singer's problematic past behavior while looking into the hullabaloo surrounding this release.  I found myself regretting handing over the money for the download and wanting to take a shower.
.     .     .

     There are still two months left in the year to see what else lands on my turntable so there's at least that to look forward to.  I haven't even had a chance to listen to the new Kim Gordon record that came out last week and I'm sure that will give me some level of brain damage so I can't wait to get that one in my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment