Thursday, March 14, 2019

Hendrix Is Not On Harp Tonight

     I had a rather weird encounter with the mail the other day.  Instead of coming home from day job to find an LP mailer stuck in the door, I came across an envelope from a relative.
     Given the age of digital wonder in which we live, getting a letter in the mail these days has become a bit of a rarity so I thought it would have been an invitation to some sort of family gathering that I would decide to not go to in order to avoid standing in a corner by myself because I haven't had anything to say to these people since the age of seven.  Boy, was I wrong.
     It was an invitation of sorts.  The letter was two pages, typed, on heavy grade paper that was almost card stock and it was trying to convince me to come to white, European Jesus.
     The letter was asking how I could live without Jesus/God and still find purpose in life without the goal of an afterlife.  It then took an odd twist toward the biographical as if I had never met this person before.  There were a few bible quotes and lines from modern day snake oil salesmen type preachers. The big finish was to promote Christian radio stations and websites for me to seek out more information.
     I should have known that something was amiss during the last gauntlet of holidays that I had to run through.  I was given a book that laid out the “empirical evidence” that Jesus was in fact the son of God.  I guess the book would have been helpful if I were looking for “evidence” based on a premise that is flimsy, at best.
     With the limited amount of time in my day that I can set aside for reading, am I going to read this book or am I going to read something of my own choosing?  Jesus book or the next volume in The Dune Chronicles?  The choice seems clear to me.  But rather than let a book go to waste, the pages were removed from the spine and used as my first attempt at an art project.  Lemons to lemonade, I say.
     The thing is, I really don't care about religion at all.  If you find comfort in it and religion of some sort helps you get through your day to day, fine, good for you.  It never did a thing for me so I don't dedicate head space to it in any shape or form.
     I have never been offended by someone that practices a religion unless they come at me with bullshit like this.  The “come join us” routine really pisses me off.
     I don't go around asking people how they can be a grown ass adult and still believe in magic and fairy tales.  I'd like to think in return that I would not be asked why, as a grown ass adult, I don't believe in magic and fairy tales.
     I understand that some people go to religious services to feel a sense of community.  I get it. People want to get out of the house and feel like they belong somewhere.  I hate people and want nothing to do with them so I have no use for that sense of community.
     I have other shit to do throughout the course of my day than worry about if I'm going to be rewarded with a Scooby Snack when I die.  Acting decently toward our fellow humans should not be based on winning a prize when we all inevitably shit our pants and die at some point.  You do it because you should.
     I refuse to align myself with people that actively stand opposed to the majority of the rest of the population.  Historically, Christianity seems to come down on the side of hate, bigotry, homophobia, misogyny and let's not forget protecting child molesters.  They have a very “If you're not like us, then we're against you” way of doing business.  Why would I stand with that?
     TV preachers demonstrate the humility of Jesus by bilking millions of dollars off of their poor followers every Sunday so they can build stadium sized churches and buy private jets.  Why would I want to be a part of that?  Becoming an easily manipulated follower that will act against my own best interests is not something that piques my curiosity.
     Jesus never helped me out of a bind.  He doesn't go from town to town getting people out of jams like B.J. and the Bear.  Praying to an imaginary friend doesn't solve problems.  Analysis of a problem followed by action is what will solve that problem.  When someone was coming after me for my child and everything I owned, Jesus didn't show up to save the day.  I did that with the help of my friends, family and attorney.  Why would I give that credit away when I could use it as motivation to build myself back up?
     Now I'm in the position of having to figure out how to politely tell this person to fuck off and that I am not their special project in need of “saving.”  Maybe their wondering about how I get through my day without the need of a religion is actually their own existential crisis that they need to figure out without dragging me into it.
     Again, I have to take into consideration that there are more years behind us than there are in front of us.  There will be difficult times in the future where we might need to be there for each other so I won't cut this person out for the simple fact that we are family.  But if this nonsense continues, I'm not sure I'll be able to hold on to that approach.
     And here I was thinking that I didn't have anything to write about this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment