Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Sleep At Stage AE, 12/8/2018

     The stoner metal juggernaut that is Sleep landed in Pittsburgh this past Saturday.  They are on the shortlist of bands that I keep in my head that I will see whenever or wherever I can.
     I had been equally anticipating and dreading this show ever since it was announced.  When tickets went on sale, I ponied up my $25.00 that was then followed by $15.00 of TicketBastard fees for some reason.  Not off to a great start but it was Sleep so I'll show up.
     The band was playing at the dreaded Stage AE which is a venue that I have never had a pleasant experience with.  It's an overly sanitary venue that wants to be involved with music while at the same time not wanting to really get any music on itself.  Almost as if someone had a bunch of extra Coors Light laying around and didn't know what else to do with it other than charge $12 a cup for it while a band was playing.
     The other issue I have with the venue is its use of the same aggressive security staff that is used at Heinz Field for Steeler games.  This staff is conditioned for belligerent drunks that will choke a pregnant lady or head-butt someone if a rapist throws a ball to person wearing a different colored shirt or the debauchery of a Kenny Chesney concert.  They don't know how to handle a bunch of weirdos that want to hear weird music.
     Things were immediately looking up when I got to the venue.  I found a parking space around the corner and ended up saving myself the $12.00 parking fee.  They changed up the security upon entering from a pat down that was equal to a cancer screening to a walk through metal detector and a wand.  I don't know why I would need wanded after a walk through but at least I was spared the cavity search.
     As soon as I made it through security, I made a beeline for the merch table to obtain the tour pressing of The Sciences which was pressed on black vinyl with white and purple splatter.  I also picked up a poster to give to the proprietors of my favorite heavy metal themed, plant based eatery, Onion Maiden.  Luckily, I was one of the first people at the merch table because there was an incredibly long line that lasted a good chunk of the night.
     Weather Warlock opened the proceedings and was interesting on many different levels.  Weather Warlock is not a band.  It's a guy with meteorological equipment set up outside that can read temperature, wind speed and infrared rays.  Instead of having this information presented as a read out of some sort, Weather Warlock is set up so the weather outside generates sounds that can be manipulated.
     It was quite the experience but not for the casual music fan and especially not for the couple standing next to me that I could best describe as walking Youtube comments.  These two couldn't shut up for five seconds to let themselves experience the weirdness that was happening in front of them.  They both knew everything and everything sucked.  It was, “This movie sucks, that TV show sucks.  What is this guy doing with the nobs and dials to make that sound?  Why would he do that? He sucks,” for the entirety of the set.
     During the change over from Weather Warlock to Sleep, I noticed that the tech/crew guys were wearing blue coveralls with patches on them, much like the astronauts at NASA wear.  Then I saw that the sound and lighting engineers were wearing black pants with short sleeve, button down white shirts and black ties.  They looked very much like they could have been working at Ground Control, in Houston.  That's when the audio from the Apollo 11 Moon landing started playing over the PA. This nerd suddenly felt all warm and fuzzy inside.  Or maybe that was the contact high from the cloud of marijuana smoke that had settled in over the crowd.
     Since I missed out on my usual spot near the soundboard due to the wait at the merch table, I ended up standing on the Matt Pike side of the stage where there were half a dozen, full-size Orange amps waiting to attack our hearing.  On the other side of the stage there were five bass amps waiting for Al Cisneros to try to collapse the building with his low end rumble.
     Sleep took the stage at 9:30 and opened with “Leagues Beneath” which was their most recent release as a twelve inch single.  The “everything sucks” couple apparently couldn't handle it and quickly retreated into their phones, barely looking up from them for the rest of the night.  At least they were quiet from there on out.
     “Leagues Beneath” was followed by a shortened twenty minute version of Sleep's epic “Dopesmoker.”  As many times as I have listened to the entire sixty minutes of it, “Dopesmoker” live is as good as music gets.
     They followed that up with “Holy Mountain” which the band dedicated to the Tree Of Life synagogue.  At this point, the band didn't sound as tight and I could hear them missing cues and their timing was a bit off.
     There apparently were technical issues of some sort.  Both Al and Matt were looking over to the monitor board because they couldn't hear.  Then one of the techs were running around the drum kit chasing a cable.  After taking a harder listen, I could tell the bass drum was lost from the mix.  A new cable was placed on the mic for the kick but it was still missing.  I'm guessing the mic gave out after a few nights of being pummeled by Jason Roeder.  Mics were swapped out and not only could I hear the kick drum, I could feel it in my chest.
     By the end of “Holy Mountain” and into “The Clarity,” Sleep had locked in and let rip with “Marijuanaut's Theme.”  The band came alive, shook off the earlier issues and let it rip.  I had never heard the band sound like they were having as much fun and as into playing as they were when they were attacking this song.
     The instrumental “The Botanist” followed to mellow things out for what was going to be the end with “Dragonaut.”  By the end of the song, they had played each other off stage until it was only Al Cisneros closing the show out with a bass solo.
     If most bands only played seven songs and called it a night, I would call bullshit.  But Sleep isn't most bands.  Seven of their songs over an hour and a half is a full meal, no encore needed.  By the time Al walked off stage, I was stuffed, content and utterly amazed that I finally had a good night at Stage AE.


No comments:

Post a Comment