Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Well, I Almost Made It A Year

     I've been back at this writing thing for about a year now and the ideas are starting to dry up.  I have written about the few primitive ideas involving music that I've had rattling around in my brain for years and now I'm stuck.  I've been trying to come up with some other angle for the past few weeks but I've got nothing.
     Writing about current events is downright exhausting and the equivalent of banging my head against a wall.  As much fun as it is to type the word “pigfucker” from time to time, I couldn't do that on a regular basis in order to protect my own sanity.  I'd eventually end up standing on a downtown street corner wearing a sandwich board with “You Know What You Did” printed on it while having both middle fingers extended.
     I find writing record reviews difficult due to how personal music is to me.  I can barely form a sentence about a record, let alone several paragraphs, unless I have a life altering experience by the time I get to side B.  When that does happen, it takes weeks to put that experience into somewhat coherent words and by then no one cares about that record anymore.
     I have taken to writing in the cafe at the Carnegie Museum of late.  It used to provide a level of white noise without the over populated environment of a Starbucks.  That was working well until recently.  Now, in the past few weeks, it seems to fill up quickly with families that let their kids roam free like it was a playground.  This has a tendency to immediately derail my train of thought and the only words I can come up with are “Stupid fucking white people” and the white noise has become really white.  As entertaining as that sentiment is at first, I can only seem to take it so far before it gets redundant.
     I have noticed that I don't mind the conversations of the other tables if they are not speaking English.  They could be talking about the most mundane horseshit but it doesn't bother me because I'm an ignorant American and barely have a handle on English.  Most people seem to sit around trying to impress each other like they don't already know each other.  As much as I don't like to contradict Mr. Rogers, we are not special.  No one is.
     I'm still trying to figure out why large groups of people go to a museum if they're not on some sort of bus trip.  Viewing art seems like a very personal/solitary activity to me instead of a “Hey, let's all grab some beers and hang out in the Post-Modern wing” sort of thing.  You know, that whole art being in the eye of the beholder thing but what do I know.  I'm the type of person that would rather go to a movie or see bands play by myself than be distracted by another human and their endless wants and needs.
     People seem to wander around aimlessly and hope that the cafe staff will take them by the hand as if they've never been out of their houses before.  No one seems to be able to handle the simple task of ordering food without turning it into a life changing ordeal.  It's a sandwich with soup or salad, not brain surgery or tying your shoes.  How some people have made it this far in life without jamming a fork in a toaster while in the bath is beyond me.
     This brings me back to my old idea of everyone having to serve two years of mandatory food service like some countries have for military service.  If people had to work in food service, they might be less of a bunch of morons when at a restaurant because they would know how awful it is to deal with a clueless, picky asshole.  Or they would stay home and cook exactly what they wanted instead of being a drag on the rest of humanity because they won't eat anything that's touched an onion or has mayonnaise on it.
     I seem to encounter these types of people more and more of late.  Recently, I have started to stagger out of day job in the mornings and end up at Zeke's to sample the dark roast coffee of the day. More often than not, I end up in line behind someone that places a drink order that is so complicated I'm sure that there can't be any coffee in it by the time it's done being made.
     I almost ended up having a mugshot on the evening news when the guy in front of me placed his excessively long drink order and then proceeded to quiz the staff about why his cappuccino from the other day had a smokey flavor to it and asked if they could recreate it.  The staff looked at him blankly and saw they certainly had their hands full with this customer.  I don't know what kind of coffee this guy ordered but it was a two person job to get it made.  The clerks were relieved when I placed my order of “Put coffee in the coffee hole,” handed them exact change plus a dollar tip and merrily parted ways after our transaction.  The staff has better things to do and I have things to pretend to be doing back at my desk so why prolong the human interaction?
     I guess normal people would call it being friendly but I don't want to be friendly at 9am on a Tuesday.  I want my coffee from my dealer with a minimal amount of hassle and then to get on with my life.  I see it as making things more complicated than they need to be so why add baggage to my day when I clearly have enough of my own already.


No comments:

Post a Comment