Wednesday, August 8, 2018

I Was A Middle Aged Anarchist Or Taking A Schvitz With Laura Jane Grace

     On Thursday, August 2nd, 2018, I was drawn by the almighty powers of the Punk Rock to venture an hour south once again to 123 Pleasant St. in Morgantown, WV.  This time it was to witness the rock 'n' roll greatness that is Against Me!
     Even though I had seen Against Me! on multiple occasions, to see a band that can easily draw a thousand people in a space that can hold a few hundred is something that should not be missed.  The only downsides were my poor planning which did not leave me any time to grab pre show food and getting stuck in a battle of semantics with the door guy over what is meant by “Will Call.”
     Typesetter, from Chicago, opened the proceedings.  They had a very Jimmy Eat World vibe to them which is a sound I had grown out of over ten years ago.  Typesetter did what they do rather well but it just wasn't for me.  The folks that showed up early seemed to be really into them.
     Speedy Ortiz was up next.  I had been wanting to see this band for years now and they did not disappoint.  Speedy Ortiz reminds me of the more laid back moments of Veruca Salt.  It was nice to have a calming groove to relax in for a few minutes before the mayhem of Against Me! hit the stage.
     Against Me! came out swinging with a one-two punch of “Teenage Anarchist” and “White Crosses” to set the tone for a long, sweaty night.  The club had completely filled in and everyone was going off.  Due to a lack of room, the pit area didn't get too out of hand.  It was only able to form into a large mass that would move back and forth like a Jello mold.
     Because of the weather conditions created in the club by the lights and the crowd, there were multiple instrument trade offs just to keep things dry.  Every time the drummer's hand came down there would be a splash of moisture sent into the air.  There was a constant cloud of humidity and steam hanging over the crowd during their twenty-five song set.  I kept thinking of the stories I've read about early Ramones shows where clubs were packed like sardine cans and those in attendance were as hydrated as a potato chip by the end of the night.
     With the exception of “Haunting, Haunted, Haunts,” the set was filled with older songs due to the return of Andrew Seward on bass.  He had departed in 2013 so he was not around for the writing and recording of the latest album, Shape Shift With Me.  The newer songs were probably left off so he didn't feel as if he was in a cover band.
     When they started into “Pints Of Guinness Make You Strong” I was almost compelled to jump into the pit.  That is an urge I had not felt in over ten years.  I suddenly remembered that I wasn't in my twenties anymore and came to my senses.
     The encore started with an acoustic cover of “Going To Georgia” from the Mountain Goats and then the devastating “Two Coffins.”  That's the song that Laura Jane Grace always dedicates to parents.  Of the four times that I've seen that song played live, I don't think there was a time that “Two Coffins” hasn't made me roll a tear.
     By the time Against Me! called it a night, everyone had sweat through their clothes and you could see moisture rolling down the walls.  Our Punk Rock forefathers would have been proud.  At the beginning of the night, I had no intentions of buying a t-shirt but grabbed one on the way out so I wouldn't have to drive for an hour while stewing in my own juices.
     It was recently announced that Laura Jane Grace will be putting out a record with a new band called the Devouring Mothers.  The record is due out this fall on Bloodshot Records.  It will be her first solo effort since Heart Burns came out several years ago between New Wave and White Crosses. If the title of the new album doesn't include the words “Heart Burns II: Electric Boog-a-loo” there is no justice in the world.
     When the album was announced, I spent way more time than I should have trying to do the math on why it was not a new Against Me! album.  It had been two years since Shape Shift With Me was released and the timing fits in with record/tour/record/tour cycle.  Then Laura posted online that the songs were heavily influenced by the six-string samurai, Rowland S. Howard.  That's when it clicked in my head.  These songs are their own separate animal from Against Me! and deserve to be released under a different entity.
     Rowland S. Howard did time with Nick Cave in The Birthday Party, back in the early 80s, before going off on his own.  His final album, Pop Crimes, was a thing of beauty and very haunting.  The world lost Howard back in 2009 due to multiple liver ailments.
     Needless to say, I'll be first in line when the Devouring Mothers' record comes out.  Hopefully there will be more tour dates that will bring the band further east.  So far the only dates are in the Midwest.

Here are links for the curious:




No comments:

Post a Comment