Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Buncha Savages In This Town

     For the past several years, the Sony MDR-V150 headphone has been my headphone of choice.  When I'm chained to my desk at work and unable to enjoy my stereo at home they provide a decent frequency range while I'm plugged into a 160GB iPod Classic.
     I stick with the iPod because I don't like to rent my music from streaming services due to sound quality issues and the inability to pay the musicians for their work that these services seem to have.  I also go with iPod because I'm sure that having some sort of turntable setup on my desk might be frowned upon by the management.  That and lugging a crate of vinyl around with me every day doesn't seem very practical.
     The V150s are lightweight and have a long enough cord that I can reach across my work area and not drag the iPod along with me.  If the ear pads start to wear out or if the cord goes bad, they only run around $20 to replace instead of the $100 that some other headphones run.  These headphones fit in rather well with my utilitarian way of life so I always find myself going back to them if a new set is needed.
     I mention all of this because I had to recently replace a pair of my beloved and very necessary headphones because some pigfucker stole them off of my desk after the office had cleared out at the end of the day.  I alerted management of the theft but beyond that not much else could be done.  As much as I would have liked to have gone full Batman on the perpetrator that would have more than likely led to cameras being installed in the office.  My thirst for vengeance would have to go unquenched.  I'd much rather pony up $20 for new headphones instead of having Big Brother watching me while I try to stay awake and pretend to be busy.
     The immediate issue at hand was how to survive eight hours of my coworkers prattling on about the inane details of their lives as if the sky was falling.  I wasn't even fifteen minutes into the day and had more than my fill of conversation about reality shows and bad hair days.  All I wanted to do was listen to the newly discovered John Coltrane album, Both Directions At Once, but my plans were foiled by some asshole that will probably use my pilfered headphones to listen to dub step or some other over-produced disposable music.  Those headphones had passed Eyehategod through their speakers so I can only hope that they will melt to his head in rebellion if he tries to put Kenny Chesney through them.
     As someone who medicates with music on a daily basis, I physically did not know how to do my job without music playing.  I sat there staring at my computer trying to figure out how to put my day back together.  Music also serves as a barrier between my coworkers and myself.  It prevents me from hearing them and it prevents me from yelling at them because I heard them.
     Luckily, there was a sonic ally in the area that made an emergency run to the store for a temporary remedy so I wouldn't end up on the evening news after Hulking out because some nonsensical conversation was the gentle breeze that pushed me over the edge.
     The V150s have been replaced and Both Directions At Once was an amazing listen.  All is not right with the world but at least it's back to its usual level of suck.

Here's some info on the lost Coltrane album:



No comments:

Post a Comment