Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Slayer Is My Copilot

     It was recently announced that Slayer will be hanging it up after one last victory lap around the world.  At first I didn't think too much of it.  Then it started to sink in that after 30 some years there will be a morning when I wake up and there will be no more Slayer.
     Slayer could be put on the very short list with bands like the Ramones and Motorhead that I always thought would be there.  Bands that we all thought would be there until the end and so we ended up taking them for granted because they were so steady with their output and relentless touring.
     My vision of a dystopian, apocalyptic future planet seems to include a scene where Keith Richards and Lemmy are throwing rocks at each other in competition for the last piece of cockroach carcass while the Ramones and Slayer are their respective backing bands.  But if the past few years have taught us anything, nothing lasts forever.
     The simple fact that Slayer made it out of the 1980s as a band is no small feat.  This was during the rise of MTV when all of these Christian/parent groups started to feign outrage over the content of music videos and song lyrics.  They were able to walk into the living room while little Timmy was rocking out and became offended because they forgot they're from a generation that grew up listening to a band called Black Sabbath.  This also coincided with Tipper Gore wanting to censor and put warning labels on records because she feared children would engage in premarital sex and animal sacrifice if they listened to anything that wasn't suitable for the Lawrence Welk Show.
     And let us never forget the three kids, from West Memphis, Arkansas, that were convicted of murders they didn't commit because they had Slayer records in their collections and wore black.  And don't forget the three kids who were murdered and whose killer still breathes free air because the local law enforcement had a belief in witchcraft as if it were the 1600s.
     I did not grow up with MTV because my family was one of the last in the neighborhood to get cable and when we did it was the below basic package which was pretty much only clear reception of the local channels so we wouldn't need bunny ears anymore.  And I find it very odd that as much as my parents' generation hated Communism they sure did want all of their children to be the same.  Culture was bad.  Anything that was different was bad.  Fear of the “Other” was rampant even if they weren't able to acknowledge it.  Art wasn't needed.  “Shut the fuck up, get a meaningless day job and repeat our mistakes” was the order of the day.  Reagan was president and authority could do no wrong.
     I was shipped off to an all boys Catholic high school for reasons I am still not sure of.  The most important lessons I learned there were to distrust any person in a position of authority and that religion was an outdated bag of bullshit.  So much so that I don't even consider myself to be an atheist.  It's amazing how much work atheists put into believing in nothing.  I have more important things to do than discuss who's imaginary friend is more righteous than someone else's.  Humanity really needs to evolve past religion of any kind because it is no longer necessary and is used to manipulate the masses into acting against their own best interests.  Christianity's only valuable contribution to modern society has been the fish fry.
     My first encounter with Slayer was after I had graduated high school and was working at a sandwich shop.  I was still trying to find my way in the world and didn't know shit about music beyond the same forty songs that were played ad nauseam on the local modern rock radio station.  I didn't really have any friends, let alone friends that were into music.  One of my coworkers at the sandwich shop was into metal and sang in a band.  Instead of standing there in silence because of my social ineptitude, he tried to crack open the conversation by asking me what music I liked.  I responded with Helmet, Tool and the Rollins Band.  A few days later, he came in with a stack of CDs to put under my snout.  There was Vision of Disorder's self-titled record, Turmoil's From Bleeding Hands and Slayer's Diabolous In Musica.  I was hooked.   I thought I had a problem with Christianity.  Boy, was I wrong.  Slayer made a living out of having a problem with Christianity.
     As the years went by and the more I listened, Slayer started to take more of a Spinal Tap/Monty Python position in my brain.  Very subtle humor that you'd miss if you weren't looking or were taking things too seriously.  How is a line like, “I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its lies can affect me” not funny.  To do so does not seem very practical.  The visual of a Bible in a Tupperware, soaking in blood, while looking for something to put leftovers in makes me laugh every time I picture it.  And don't forget the episode of South Park when Cartman played Slayer over the PA at a jam band concert to rid the town of hippies.  So, yes, Slayer warms my heart and makes me happy when I listen to their records.
     We no longer live in a time where every few years a Slayer record would be unleashed upon the earth like a monster escaping from an underground government bunker.  No one makes records like Slayer.  Nor should they try.  There is a formula to what they do but that formula belongs to Slayer because they execute it with precision every time.  People may try to criticize the band by saying that they only do one thing and release the same record over and over.  But Slayer does that one thing so well and with so much intensity that I am never bothered by it like I would be with other bands.  It used to be that I would find myself getting bored with metal then Slayer would swoop in and save the day with a new album.  I'm not going to have that anymore and I see no other band that releases records that frequently that could fill that void.
     Even with the changing moods of Dave Lombardo, which took him in and out of the band for various reasons, and the loss of Jeff Hanneman, Slayer was always consistent from album to album. Those records weren't made in studios.  They had to have been made in a laboratory under strict supervision so as to not infect the surrounding areas.  The release of Diabolous In Musica followed by God Hates Us All has got to be one of the greatest one-two punches in music history.
     Unfortunately, I only got to see them play live once.  It was at an ice rink, in the middle of nowhere, on one of those Jagermeister sponsored package tours.  The sound was awful because of the echo off of the concrete walls and bleachers.  If you closed your eyes, you wouldn't have been able to tell where the stage was located.
     And sadly, I will be skipping their last show in the Pittsburgh area.  It's at one of those Clear Channel owned, cookie cutter outdoor amphitheaters.  I just can't bring myself to overpay through Ticketmaster for the ticket and then have to pay to park in order to use binoculars to watch Slayer play on a big TV while the sound is blown away by the wind.  I would be endlessly frustrated by the crowd and the facility that it would be better for all involved if I abstained.
      I will say that I will be first in line for the release of Tom Araya's solo acoustic record when it comes out.  If Buzz from the Melvins can put something like that out, why can't Tom?

No comments:

Post a Comment