Wednesday, February 13, 2019

UniBear? Bearicorn? Why Do I Leave The House?

     The other day, I had one of those moments in life that made me wonder why I leave the house at all instead of ordering everything I need from Amazon.
     The house was running low on supplies such as dish soap and laundry detergent so it was time to head out to one the local suburban shopping areas to venture into a department store to participate in the dreaded Capitalism.
     In exchange for legal tender, I will be able to have clean clothes and dishes but must also pay the psychic cost of having to tolerate coddled, white suburbanites and their monstrous, ill-behaved offspring.
     Being a part of a functioning society has apparently become a lost art.  No one knows how to drive in traffic or in a parking lot.   No one knows how to not stand in front of a door so others can pass. Everyone walks around talking on their phones with ear buds so they look and sound like they're talking to themselves.  Everyone is so self-important and full of themselves that they can't see that I'm in a hurry to get away from them as fast as I possibly can.
     Children roam about the aisles knocking items from the shelves leaving a path of destruction in their wake.  Screaming at the tops of their little lungs as they go.  A beaten down parent stuck in the eye of this asshole hurricane, not realizing that they are the grown up and have the power to put a stop to the storm of petulance.
     The most trying obstacle to getting back to my stereo is always the person in line in front of me at the checkout.  It never fails.  Regardless of how uneventful putting the items in my cart may be, I have the worst luck at the cash register.  Whether it's someone that doesn't know how gift cards work or it's someone that tries to haggle over the price as if the store were in the market scene in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.  Hours of my life have been stolen by these mouth breathers.
     This time around, it was a mother with her five to six year old daughter.  I should have turned tail and ran to the longest line in the store when I saw that the kid was sitting in the baskets that people pile up under the register when they are done with them.  I saw that they were almost bagged up and ready to go so I held course.  A near fatal mistake that I immediately regretted.
     As the woman was cashing out, the child wandered off in the direction of the impulse buy rack where there was a display of Valentine's Day stuffed animals and picked one off the rack.  It was at this point that I wish I was smart enough to carry my earplugs with me at all times.
     The ensuing argument went as predicted:

“I want to take this home.”
“No.”
“But I want to take this home!!!”
“No.”

     Followed by the child rolling around on the floor with the stuffed animal for what felt like hours until it was pried from her clutches and returned to the shelf.
*     *     *
     I am going to pause here and attempt to describe the stuffed animal at center of this great debate.  It was a teddy bear that was made with several bright colors so it looked as if it were tie-died.  And it also had the horn of a unicorn.  All of the bears on this display were brightly colored and had the parts of other animals sewn on to them.
     This thing looked as if Dr. Moreau had taken a heroic dose of acid and tried to cross a bear with a narwal while at Build-A-Bear.  I am very curious to know what the poor kid in the Chinese sweatshop thinks of Americans after having to manufacture this abomination for pennies a day.
*     *     *
     None of this would have been an issue but the woman did not move her cart or her purchases while trying to not lose an argument to a five year old so the clerk could not start ringing up my items until this sad drama had moved along.  We both stood there shrugging our shoulders and wondering who was going to win.
     The shit show finally cleared out and my transaction was complete.  I fought the temptation to buy this horrible bearicorn for myself just so I could catch up to them in the parking lot to gloat over my new purchase.
     Scarring a child for life by going, “Ahhh-haaa!!! I've got your stupid bear thing and you don't!!! I'm an adult with a job and can buy things if I want to!!!”  Followed with a “You should have been a blow job or an abortion, you little monster, but your mother was too much of a prude.”
     I must be growing as a person.  I didn't make a frivolous purchase or verbally assault a child and her mother.  That's a sure sign of progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment