Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Submachine & Killer Of Sheep At 123 Pleasant St.

     This past Saturday evening (5/5/2018), I found myself with a lack of responsibility outside of working on these articles that I feel compelled to shove into the gaping maw of the internet.  I took this open schedule opportunity to not get any writing done and made the hour and a half drive south to Morgantown, WV to see Submachine and Killer Of Sheep tear it up at 123 Pleasant St.
     While driving down to the venue, I couldn't help but laugh at myself for traveling over an hour to see bands that I could see by driving across town but can never find the energy to get off of the couch to do so.  I also found it odd that I knew more about the parking situation around a club in Morgantown than I do about clubs across town.  I had ventured south to the same place in previous years to check out True Widow and The Evens.
     Luckily, I didn't have to worry about coming up with food since I jammed enough Onion Maiden to feed a small village down my gullet before I hit the road.  Since the music is my main priority when I embark on adventures of this sort, I never bothered to find out if there are any decent food or coffee sources around 123 Pleasant St. outside of the fast food joints that are on the road between the interstate and the venue.
     Submachine was the first band to hit stage.  After seeing them numerous times over the years, they are still a lot of fun and they seem to be getting better with age.  It was great to hear the old songs live again, such as The and Bull In A China Shop, but the handful of newer songs that they played were even better.  The last song they played sounded completely different from anything they've done in the past.  To hear Submachine get out of their comfort zone and so soundly pull it off was worth putting up with the asshole in the pickup truck with Texas plates on the highway.  If there is a new record in the works, I will be the first in line to pick it up because it will be a monster.  I think their last record, In Spite Of Everything, was musically, and sonically, the best thing they've ever done but these new songs were eye opening scorchers.
     Next up was a band from Cleveland called FYPM (Fuck You Pay Me.)  They're a band that I had heard of and seen their rather memorable name on flyers but never actually crossed paths with before.  Immediately after their set I picked up both of the LPs they had at the merch table.  With songs like Ammosexual and Douche Chills, what's not to like.  The song that cinched it for me was Steubenville City Limits.  It's a song about the Steubenville high school football players from a few years ago that were doing anything they wanted, including rape, and these behaviors were excused and covered up by school officials and the local authorities.  And the singer, Tony Erba, gets bonus points for pointing out to me that there was a Sheetz a few blocks over during pre-show chit chat when I was complaining about not having a place to grab coffee for the drive home.
     Killer of Sheep went on next and I'm guessing they went on third in order to give the drummer, Greg Mairs, a break between sets since he plays in both Submachine and Killer Of Sheep.  I have been enamored with this band since I saw them open for that Black Flag reunion band, Flag, a few years ago.  Killer Of Sheep had the best set of the night back then and they get better and better every time I see them.  They also had a few new songs in their set so hopefully they'll be doing something with them soon.  Yes, I know, their album Scorned came out less than a year ago but I really want to hear what else Riff Master General, Oyo Ellis and company have up their sleeves.
     Sadly, I had to bail before, Morgantown locals, False Profit played.  The hour was getting late and I was starting to feel it.  With the hour plus drive in pouring rain ahead of me, I decided to call it a night.  Since I am conditioned to be chained to a desk at 7am on most days, I was certainly up past my bed time.  I was off to Sheetz for coffee and then back to my couch.  All in all, I'm glad I resisted my usual impulse to hide in my house to avoid humanity and let shows like this pass me by.

Here are some links to check out the bands that were on the bill:




No comments:

Post a Comment