Wednesday, November 25, 2020

A Planet Of The Apes Thanksgiving

 

     We are a nation of six year olds that have never been loved by our parents while being fed a steady diet of Ritalin and Mountain Dew.  It seems that a larger than it should be portion of Americans would rather die than act collectively for the greater good.  And by the greater good, I mean not spreading an airborne plague amongst ourselves by simply covering our dirty mouths.

     Since when did dangerously lethal amounts of stupidity become known as bravery?  Wearing a mask while out in public is not a difficult thing to do and it is not a sign of weakness.  I don't know where you've been just as much as you don't know where I've been so we'll all cover our filthy gaping maws when we leave the house.  That's the new social contract.  If you don't like it get the fuck out of society.

     It was only a matter of time before this country was faced with a crisis that it couldn't bomb or buy its way out of with its “exceptionalism.”  COVID does not give a shit what the stock market did today and I am still dumbfounded and infuriated by the elected officials and media personalities that said money was more important than our elders so they should be sacrificed to save the economy.

     This virus is not a wedding in Afghanistan so it can't be taken out with a drone.  COVID should not be framed with the terminology of warfare.  It cannot be swiftly beaten back with “Shock and Awe.”  It can only be dealt with by very smart people who are not camera ready and people like that are in short supply these days.

     I've been stuck in my house since March, with no end in sight, because wanting to be constantly entertained was suddenly seen as a Constitutional right.  All of these gun toting rugged individualists that are unable to live without haircuts, high school football and Applebee's can go fuck themselves.  I'm not willing to die for some shithead that thinks it's their solemn patriotic duty to go out to a restaurant after watching children give each other concussions.  It's weird how these assholes fight to the death when there are pickles on their sandwich but offer up a deafening silence when it comes to cops murdering with impunity and hysterectomies being performed in our concentration camps.  I guess anything beyond fighting for the right to a mani/pedi is a bridge too far for some people.

     I am so exhausted from hearing the incessant whining about not being able to attend sporting events and not being allowed to drink in bars.  Every one of these unliterate lumps somehow became an epidemiologist over night and claims to know more than actual scientists.  When geniuses like Rand Paul end up getting laughed out of a room they cry about being marginalized and that their opinions should be heard.  Here's a newsflash: ignorance is not a point of view that needs to be discussed or given equal time to.  Go read a book that wasn't written by a sports writer or a TV preacher and then maybe you'll be invited back to the table with the grown ups.

     I have only been to two shows this year and I probably shouldn't have gone to either one of them.  I definitely should not have gone to the second one.  Even though it was outdoors, it was a super spreader cluster fuck of a day once people got a few beers deep.  It was not worth risking my safety to take some pictures and play road crew for a day.

     Sitting on a shelf, I have a stack of tickets from shows that were cancelled this year.  Some of which were scheduled in venues that will quite possibly be gone by the time this is all over.  Against Me!, Bad Religion with War On Women, Bikini Kill, Control Top, the Eviction reunion, Fuzz and Rage Against The Machine.  I was also supposed to see Anti-Flag and the Homeless Gospel Choir on multiple occasions as well.  Add to that the numerous local shows that would have popped up on a week's notice.

     I was supposed to go on a mini-tour with Killer Of Sheep back in March which didn't happen.  There was going to be some sort of shenanigans revolving around Submachine's 30th anniversary that I was more than likely going to have some level of involvement in and none of that happened either.

     All of my coping mechanisms have been taken from me.  No punk shows, no movies and no restaurants.  I've also been avoiding record stores and the comic book store as much as possible because people are disgusting animals with no regard for others.

     Writing has been a struggle because coffee shops aren't safe to go to.  Trying to write at home has some serious problems for me.  I end up getting distracted by chores or saying fuck the chores as well as the writing and end up going to sleep.  Sitting at a table for a few hours when there is nothing but the blank page and a trough full of coffee in front of me forces me to do the damned thing instead of sitting at home where everything is competing for my limited attention span and I end up doing nothing.

     As some people have thrown caution to the wind with COVID because they got bored with it, I have taken an opposite approach.  I have tried to become more disciplined with my habits.  Going out less and less, being more mindful of how close I get to people at the grocery store and lowering the amount of people that I'm around.  Making sure that I wear a mask any time I'm around someone I don't live with.  I am sick of this shit so I will be taking my quarantining and isolation to extremes.

     All of this is to say that I could give a flying fuck at the Moon about you wanting to go out to dinner and spend holidays with your relatives and their dumb uncovered faces.

     Science and a virus that will kill you don't care about your feelings and that you can't drink in a bar so shut the fuck up, wear a mask and stay in your goddamn house.  This all would have been over by now if you had listened the first time.  We as a society didn't earn it so we don't deserve to have fun.

     This is playing out like so many science fiction stories.  Unknown disease springs up.  People start dropping like flies.  Government officials think they can punch this unknown disease in the face while ignoring the medical professionals.  I can't wait until we get to the part where there are apes riding down the middle of a famous city street on horseback.  We are so close to the end of humanity and too stupid to save ourselves.  Between COVID and climate change, I don't know what will happen first, Dune or Planet Of The Apes.




No comments:

Post a Comment