Wednesday, June 13, 2018

A Garbage Day Saved By Wire

     This morning, I dragged my carcass into the office of my soul suck of a day job to find the temperature getting up to damn near 90 degrees.  Normally, it is a bit warm in the mornings because the AC shuts off overnight and then has to catch up but this amount of heat was way out of the ordinary and on the verge of oppressive.
     The management started calling around to get the HVAC guy on site to get the air conditioner repaired.  The management was able to find out that, apparently, the AC did not breakdown.  There was some sort of company initiative to lower electricity use so they went around and turned off the ventilation systems in unoccupied office space.
     The key terms here are “unoccupied office space.”  The company was unaware that there was an office full of people sitting in one of their own buildings.  It's nice to know that I am such a valued employee that my employer doesn't even know that I exist.
     It seems that the AC was able to be turned off remotely but could not be turned back on in the same manner.  I was sitting in my sweatbox of a cubicle with a severe swamp ass and bat wings issue going on waiting for the HVAC guy to show up to flip a switch.
     To at least get some air flowing, there was an attempt to open the windows only to find out that all of the windows had been bolted shut.  This had to be another company initiative to prevent employees from pretending that they worked in an iPhone factory and taking a flying leap.
     A couple of box fans were found somewhere in the building which led to the dunderheads that I work with arguing over which way the fans should be aimed because some of them didn't want the air blowing on them.  A compromise was made to set up the fans in such a way to ensure that relief was brought to no one.  Let me remind you that these people are adults that somehow figured out how to tie their shoes and learned how to use a doorknob in order to leave their houses.
     I swear that most of their behaviors are intended to see if today will be the day they drive me to jamming my pen into my eye.  And for those of you who have been following along, Dorf The Asshole, who has taken on the aroma of dog farts of late, was smelling extra dog farty in the excessive heat.
     Several hours later, the HVAC guy finally made an appearance, flipped the switch to turn the AC back on and nothing happened.  It seems that the remote shut off fried the whole system and he couldn't figure out how long it would be until it was up and running again.
     The management had already decreed that the company dress code would still be in effect, regardless of how long the AC is broken.  So if the air isn't back on any time in the near future, shorts and a t-shirt were still out of the question.  This was just in case we get paid a surprise visit by company muckety-mucks even though these same muckety-mucks didn't know we still worked for the company and occupied space when they decided to shut down the ventilation system.  That makes perfect sense.  Now I have to walk around with my balls tucked into my sock so they don't drag behind me because of some mythical visit from my “superiors.”
     How is this my life? Luckily, I was greeted by Wire reissues in my mailbox when I got home.  The band's first three records Pink Flag, Chairs Missing, and 154 were recently remastered and rereleased on Wire's own label.  I haven't had a chance to do the Pepsi challenge yet but so far it sounds like the mastering on Pink Flag leaves the old Four Men With Beards mastering in the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment